Skin Care Tips
Rhassoul clay or ghassoul clay is a natural mineral clay from the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. It’s been mined and used since the 8th century and has been used by Moroccan women for centuries to care for your skin and hair. The word rhassoul derives from the Arabic word for washing, “Rhassala.” It has an unmatched ability to draw out impurities from the skin and hair and is used for detoxifying, cleansing and reducing dryness. It has a reddish brown color and has been used for soothing scalp ailments such as dandruff and psoriasis.
This untreated and naturally dried clay has a silk-like feel and can help even out skin tone and reduce blemishes. It has the unique ability to both nourish skin and reduce breakouts and many people use it daily as a natural soap and shampoo. In fact, clinical studies and testing on Rhassoul found that it can increase skin elasticity, even skin tone, reduce blemishes and blackheads, and reduce skin dryness or flakiness.
Rhassoul clay boasts a high negative charge and it can help draw out blackheads and other impurities from skin. This also makes it beneficial as a make-up remover or all-purpose face wash.
Like Bentonite Clay, it has the ability to swell when added to water, but Rhassoul has an even higher silica and magnesium content. In fact, this clay can be used daily instead of soap for a gentle way to cleanse that won’t strip skin of beneficial oils.
Rhassoul clay is the moisturizer and softener. It reduces dryness in the hair while also removing toxins and product buildup. It improve hair’s elasticity and unblocks your scalp’s pores. It reduces flakiness and aids in detangling and although it cleans like bentonite clay but unlike the detoxifying clay, it leaves your hair soft and moisturized.
Rhassoul Clay vs. Bentonite Clay...Is one better than the other?
No, not really. Rhassoul clay tends to be pricier than bentonite clay but they have different purposes despite both of them being great for drawing out toxins, product build up and dirt from our hair and scalp. If you need a clay to be highly absorbent than bentonite is the one for you but if you need that extra moisture and softness then rhassoul is the better of the two for you. It matters on what your goal for your hair or skin is at that moment and neither is better than the other.
In today's generation we've forgotten that cultures throughout the ages used bentonite clay and other healing clays for their nutrients and to help rid the body of toxins.
If we reexamine what nature has taught us, many animals will instinctively turn to eating dirt and clay to help remove poisons from their systems or during times of illness or distress.
More recently, healing clays like bentonite clay have once again gained popularity for internal and external detoxification, and for good reason.
What Is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite clay consists of aged volcanic ash also known as “Montmorillonite.” The name comes from the largest known deposit of bentonite clay located in Fort Benton, Montana.
It is an odorless grey/cream color with an almost soft, very fine consistency. Unlike some other clays, it doesn’t stain and is easy to work with in beauty and natural remedy recipes.
Healing clays like bentonite have a high concentration of minerals including silica, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, and potassium. It also absorbs and removes toxins, heavy metals, impurities, and chemicals.
Because of this, bentonite clay is a common ingredient in detox and cleansing products. Common external uses include poultices, mud packs, detox baths, skin care and hair care products.
Some people (myself included) even use it internally. It has an alkalizing effect on the body and when taken correctly, it can help balance gut bacteria.
Bentonite Clay Benefits & How It Works
Bentonite clay is a unique clay due to its ability to produce an “electrical charge” when hydrated. Upon contact with fluid its electrical components change, carrying a strong negative charge which bonds to the positive charge in many toxins.
When it comes in contact with a toxin, chemical, or heavy metal, the clay will absorb the toxin and release its minerals for the body to use. Bentonite also helps get oxygen to cells as it pulls excess hydrogen and allows the cells to replace it with oxygen instead. Amazing right!
How to Use Bentonite Clay
- On the Skin: Externally, apply a paste of bentonite clay and water on any skin irritation like blemishes, insect bites, cuts, skin itching, or burns. Leave it on until it dries and wash off. This is said to be especially calming to skin itching from eczema, psoriasis, chickenpox, etc.
- Armpit Detox: Use a mix of bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar to detox my armpits.
- Skin Poultice for Bug Bites/Burns/Cuts/Stings: For more severe issues, create a poultice by putting a thick layer of clay on the skin and applying a wet gauze or cloth over it. Wrap the area and leave the poultice on, changing every 2 hours.
- Face Mask: Many beauty products use bentonite clay for its ability to bind with and remove toxins and impurities. For smooth and healthy skin, make a bentonite clay mask simply by mixing a paste of bentonite and water. Leave on for 20 minutes and wash off with warm water. You may do this 1-2 times a week.
- Detox Bath: Add about 1/4 cup of bentonite clay to bath water for a relaxing detox bath that softens skin.
- For Baby Powder: Plain bentonite clay makes a very soothing baby powder for use when there is infection or redness. It can also be made into a clay “mask” to help speed recovery in this area.
Click here to purchase your bentonite clay and start incorporating this AMAZING CLAY into your skincare regimen!
Best Bentonite Clay Precautions
- Do not let healing clays like bentonite come in to contact with anything metal, as this will reduce the effectiveness. Mix with water in a glass jar with a plastic lid by shaking well or using a plastic whisk.
- If you take it internally, do not take within an hour of food for best results and do not take within 2 hours of medications or supplements as it might reduce their effectiveness. Check with your doctor before using if you have any medical condition.